44 Makin Grade, Kentfield
Known as “White Pillars”, 44 Makin Grade was designed by Warren Charles Perry, a noted architect who was also Dean of the UC Berkeley School of Architecture. Completed in 1932/1933, the estate was designed and built for E.W. Maggard, the then President and CEO of Northwestern Pacific Railroad. Only four families have occupied the house since its development, making this a truly rare offering. The grand scale columns that grace the rear of the residence are uniquely distinctive to44 Makin Grade; thus the name “White Pillars”. Large, formal spaces, period architectural details, high ceilings, and gracious milled woodwork are evident throughout the 7,437 total square feet of living space. The residence has had three substantial renovations since the current owners acquired the property, creating a one of a kind compound that offers a rare combination of iconic architectural antiquity with the benefits of modern day renovations. The main house offers +-6,157 square feet of living space with 4-5 bedrooms, and 3 full, plus 2 half baths. The +- 616 square foot guest house offers a one bedroom, one bath suite. The gym/au pair unit, located below the guest house, offers 484 of living space with one bedroom and one bath. The residence has played host to a myriad of large community events, and is ideal for grand scale entertaining and hosting smaller family events.
The magnificent grounds were fully renovated by nationally noted landscape architect Michael Yandle (www.mbyandle.com). Beautifully executed stone walls, bluestone paths and terraces, an outdoor fireplace with bluestone terrace, sweeping level lawns, old growth trees, mature gardens and plantings, and an in ground pool grace the 1.08 acre grounds. The home is perfectly site placed to take advantage of complete indoor/outdoor living. The home’s main spaces all open to a sweeping level lawn with extraordinary Mt. Tam views, which are enjoyed from most rooms in the house. The residence is gated and very private. Additionally, the residence and grounds are south facing, with all day sun and long, light filled days. Located just off the coveted flats, in a bike to school location, 44 Makin Grade is located in the award winning k-8th grade Ross School District.
- Large, formal foyer
- Beautifully appointed formal library, which can also be used as a media room, offers extensive built-ins, a desk area (which could be a wet bar), and opens directly to the gardens
- Large, formal powder room with pedestal sink
- Recently renovated chef’s kitchen includes high-end, stainless appliances, marble slabs, pasta pot filler, brick tile backsplash, ample storage, custom divided light windows, bar counter seating with a large center island, and a large eat-in space
- Adjacent family room offers 10 foot ceilings, custom built-ins, stunning Mt. Tam views, and glass doors opening to the outdoor patio
- Second powder room off of the family room offers built ins
- Exquisite formal dining room offers two sets of originally designed china storage, high ceilings, Mt. Tam views, and opens directly to the lawn and gardens
- Grand scale, elegant formal living room (approximately 20 feet by 40 feet) offers the original marble fireplace, original bookcases, high ceilings, stunning Mt. Tam views and glass doors opening to the lawn and gardens
- Fabulous master suite offers two closets with custom built-ins, high ceilings, built-in bench seat and Mt. Tam views
- Newly finished master bath offers large shower with brick backsplash, marble vanity with dual sinks, water closet, and tub
- Large, en-suite bedroom with two closets and a tile bathroom
- Third bedroom on this level opens to a balcony and offers a large walk-in closet
- Jack and Jill tile bath
- Large bedroom with high ceilings offers stunning Mt. Tam views
- Adjacent room offers the option of a 5th bedroom or child’s study
- Fabulous, grand scale play room, with ample storage, is ideal for hosting children’s plays, game play or pool/foosball
The Guest House
- The guest house was completed by the current owners in 2000. The noted historical architectural firm of Page and Turnbull was engaged to design the guest house. It offers a one bedroom, one bath living quarters, a large living room, a fireplace, skylights, high ceilings, wainscot finish work, and a bar/service area for guests. The guest house is ideally situated off of the pool area. The guest house is approximately 616 feet.
- The gym was also completed in 2000. It is approximately 484 square feet and has an adjacent full bathroom. This is also an ideal space for live in staff.
- Separate, private office is located adjacent to the garage; There is a huge walk in storage area adjacent to the office.
- 4 zone heating and air conditioning
- Lutron lighting system
- Security system
- Built-in speakers/stereo surround in the kitchen, living room, office, master bedroom and outside
- Mostly copper plumbing
- Well for irrigation (equipment was new in 2010); Tier 4 water; 1,500 gallon water storage tank
- Ample storage throughout
- 3 car garage with additional off street parking for up to 15 cars
5 Bedrooms | 3.5 Bath | 7,437 Sq Ft |